Disclaimer

These are the everyday ramblings of a navy wife during deployment. At times this blog may be controversial, disagreeable, or just plain whiney...but hopefully it will be mostly fun. Welcome :)

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Confessions of Royal Icing

When Mike deployed, I made the decision to set some goals for myself to pass the time. One such goal included to improve my cake decorating skills.

Last night I had one of my cake decorating classes. It was class 2 of the course, "Flowers & Cake Design" and we dealt with royal icing. For those that don't know anything about it, it's a sugar based icing that crusts and eventually completely hardens over time. Because it crusts so quickly, it's ideal for making flowers with specific details, and lifting them onto cakes immediately or at a later date. Sounds easy enough, right? Right?

Hardly! The flower designs that she taught us were indeed, simple enough but everyone did a good deal of struggling with some of them. I was sorely disappointed to learn that making a rose is alot harder than I had anticipated, and as much as it pains me to say this....I suck at it! Luckily, by the end of class I had nailed the other flowers, and even made one passable rose.

I'll add some photos later when my phone stops acting up! Have a good day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Where are you taking classes? I plan to take some eventually.

    I look forward to seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete